Friday, August 26, 2016

Why I am Here

Why
We sit in the Marriot Center, still waking up
Knees pressed awkwardly
Against the people in front of us
And we listen...
Why are you here? asks our president
Why are you here,
And not Susan from St. Louis
Who had 301 volunteer hours
And played three musical instruments
In her school's marching band?
Why are you here
And not Barker from Boston
Who watched all the BYU football games
Hoping to someday transfer
From his living room chair
To the living energy of Lavell Edwards?
Why are you here?
And not Peter from Provo
Who wanted to follow the footsteps
Of his three big brothers
And prove that he's just as smart
As them?
Why are you here? asks our president
Who are you trying to become?
How are you going to change the world?
We sit in the Marriot Center, wide awake
Heedless of our awkward knees
Our ears listening to a voice that can't be heard
A voice that's still and small
When finished, we walk out, quietly, solemenly
Then go about the day, as usual
His questions echo through my brain as I walk
And as I wander around later, hopelessly lost
On my way to dinner.
My questions have no answers
But I'm holding my breath
And holding on to hope
That I'm going to be something great
Because this is where I'm supposed to be
I'll find my purpose, my passion, my mission
The reasons why I'm here
I owe that much
To Susan and Barker and Peter and them
And most of all
To me
Why am I here? I don't know yet
But I promise you
I will

3 comments:

  1. Love this poem Kai! Wow, you are like your mother and grandmother in your writing abilities. How come it skipped me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, you know where you came from and where you are going. The challenge is in between. It "will" come and probably already has. Love the poem. Change the world! The "voice" will tell you how . . . and why. ♥

    ReplyDelete