Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Breakfast for Lazy People

Did somebody say breakfast?
Breakfast has always been an important part of my day. My family is the kind of family that CANNOT live without breakfast. My childhood mornings consisted of Frosted Mini-Wheats, Cheerios, and Life, and in my high school years, I graduated to Multi-Grain Cheerios and Grape Nuts. Regardless of where we are, what time it is when we wake up, or how much we ate for dinner the day previously, my family ALWAYS eats breakfast. So when college came around and most of my friends started skipping breakfast in favor of ten extra minutes of sleep, I rebelled. I would rather sacrifice some extra snoozes for a hearty bowl of Grape Nuts, thank you very much. 
Since breakfast is such an important part of my day, I've been working on learning some breakfast recipes that are quick, easy, and fairly healthy. One of my new favorites is my mom's Oatmeal in a Jar recipe (my mom probably got it off the Internet somewhere, but whatever.  I don't think the Internet Police will prosecute me). The nice thing about this recipe is that it's so versatile. It's one of those recipes you absolutely, positively cannot mess up (thank goodness. I have enough cooking issues as it is). It requires no cooking, no baking, no mincing, and even no toasting! It's almost as easy as the "just as water" Top Ramen you were probably previously eating for breakfast. 
You could also try adding chopped nuts, sliced apples, chocolate chips, brown sugar, strawberries, raspberries, or whatever else your heart desires. Get crazy. 

Blueberry Banana Oatmeal
1/2 cup oats 
1/2 cup milk 
1/2 cup blueberries
1/3 cup sliced bananas
1 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp chia seeds (if you're feeling hippie. You can drop it if you want) 
A mason jar, or maybe just an empty spaghetti sauce jar. Or even a Styrofoam cup, that works too
1.) Put all that stuff in a jar.
2.) Put jar in Fridge overnight 
3.) Eat 

OR 

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal 
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sliced bananas
14 cup peanut butter 
1 cup milk 
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp chia seeds 
A mason jar, or maybe just an empty spaghetti sauce jar. Or even a Styrofoam cup, that works too
1.) Insert into jar
2.) Put jar in Fridge overnight
3.) Eat 

I was going to add a picture of my creation, but the pic made my oatmeal look like so disgusting I decided against it. 
Good luck putting your ingredients in your jars! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment