Monday, April 24, 2017

How to Survive Finals 101

So first off: disclaimer. I'm not sure if I even survived finals this semester... I think I might have disintegrated and then been put back together by equal parts Cheez-its, Chisholm (my roommate), and chocolate. So my advice might not be the best... but too bad, y'all are going to get it anyway.
My first piece of advice is that two weeks before the end of finals, force yourself to write down everything you have due until the end of semester. It's slightly painful to do... but it will *hopefully* prevent you from writing a 10 page paper in two days. (Not that I speak from experience or anything...). After writing out everything you have left to do, you can prioritize your assignments and papers. It will also allow you to see what finals you have for each class, when and where you have to take them, and what you should study. Trust me, you will breathe easier knowing that you have everything under control. Or, at the very minimum, you will reduce your stress asphyxiation to a moderate choking sensation. *insert thumbs up emoji here*
You also need to plan some time to relax during finals week. If not, you'll go certifiably crazy. My friends and I hiked the Y the Saturday or two before finals, and that proved to be a great stress relief.
The combination of nature, moderately deathly exercise, and crazy friends made for a wonderful couple hours. The week leading up to finals, I also had a girl's night with my friends, complete with Pride and Prejudice, BYU Creamery ice cream, and more Cheez-its. It was another wonderful stress relief in the middle of a crazy week. Whatever you like to do, do it. Go for a hike. Hike your way up freshmen hill to the Blue Line. Line up for a Divine Comedy show. Show off your musical talents in the basement of your hall. Whatever you love to do, do it.
Also, always remember what matters most, and put that first. Okay, okay, I know that's cliche, but it's TRUE (as most cliche sayings are). Take a trip to the temple (there's two within walking distance, y'all have no excuse), wipe the dust off your scriptures, wear down the fabric of your jeans while on your knees, and call your mom and tell you you love her. You'll feel greater peace and happiness in your life, and you will just feel like less of a disaster in general.
Finally, DON'T FORGET TO EAT!!! And *try* not to just completely destroy your regular eating habits. I made the mistake of doing this... I frequently skipped breakfast, skipped lunch, ate dinner at weird hours, and binged on *ahem* exorbitant amounts Cheez-Its.... Listen up people, these were poor life decisions!!! They made me feel hungry and cranky, and I always felt worse knowing that I had been eating so unhealthily. When I get a good, solid breakfast, a satisfying lunch, and a healthy dinner, I feel more grounded and life is just better.
There's tons of other advice I have, which shall be forthcoming... in time *insert evil laugh* I just want to say, good luck on finals, my dear freshmen, and know that you CAN do this! Remember one trashy test grade or one *or five cough* sloppily written papers don't define you. And neither do the number of BYU Creamery ice cream scoops you binge eat (although that'd be nice... I'd be worth a lot because I've eaten so many).
Go slay your finals, or as my friend Sami would say, go "Get 'em Janet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment