Sunday, April 9, 2017

Pro Tip: Check the Weather

So last week, Utah was FINALLY starting to get some nice weather. The whole campus has just felt like spring; with finals nearing, engagements happening left and right, and popcorn popping on the apricots trees, it has just seemed like spring is finally arriving.
And then yesterday happened...
Being the typical Southern Californian, I pulled out my shorts, slippers, and t-shirts the minute I felt the Sun on my face. On Saturday, I was dressed in what I thought was appropriate spring gear; a three-quarter length shirt, gray shorts, cheap slippers, and a side braid. For most of the day, this was actually a smart outfit choice (I do occassionally make smart life decisions). The day was nice; not too warm, not too hot, just perfectly in between.
Later in the day, however, my friends and I were heading home after attending a poetry slam in the Wilk. We opened the Wilk's double doors to exit, only to be assaulted by a barrage of frigid rain. Although I had had the foresight to bring a jacket to the event, I had not had the foresight to bring a jacket with a HOOD. My friends were in the same boat. We took refuge in the JKB, hoping maybe the rain would abate. After about ten minutes, we again attempted our journey home, only to discover that it was now SNOWING. We had no choice but to brave the weather in slippers and shorts.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the snow! I just love it so, so much more when my feet are snuggled in fur tipped, double laced North Face boots and my face is covered in a beanie and a hood.
The funny part of this whole story is that my sister had texted me had told me that it was supposed to snow on the weekend. She dutifully checks the weather every day to see what my day will be like here in Utah. If only I had listened to her careful warning... or at least bothered to check the weather myself.
So Pro Tip: Always, always, ALWAYS check the weather. For all you know you could get snow in July or heat waves in December (or more likely: both on the same day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment